There are many little things that you can do to make your turbocharger last longer. One of the simplest things to do for preventive maintenance is to check your oil and fluid levels. If the supply is not sufficient to properly lubricate the system, a lot of bad things can happen. At Western Turbo, we see many damaged turbochargers due to insufficient oil supply.
Here are some attributes that lead to damage due to insufficient oil supply;
- Re-fitting a turbocharger without adequate priming
- Long periods of non-use
- Broken or restricted oil feed pipe
- Low engine oil pressure due to malfunctioning lubrication system
- Low or no oil in sump
- The use of sealants, which can restrict the oil flow
- Not priming a replacement oil filter with new oil. If this cannot be done, then crank the engine with no fuel to establish oil pressure.
- Do not exceed idle conditions until oil pressure is established
Regular maintenance by Winnipeg’s largest diesel service centre should ensure that your diesel turbo charger is in top working order. Western Turbo can set you up on a preventive maintenance program for your individual diesel or fleet requirements. Whether you are in Winnipeg, or rural Manitoba, give us a call for you next service.