Winter is just around the corner, which means it’s time to make preparations for cold weather. That includes winterizing your vehicle to ensure safe reliable driving though the frigid months ahead. Below are some car care measures we recommend for worry-free winter driving.
Freezing temperatures, ice and heavy snowfalls make winter driving especially challenging, and take their tolls on your car as well. Make sure you and your car are both prepared for winter driving by packing the following items in your vehicle emergency kit:
- Battery jumper cables
- Ice scraper and brush for cleaning vehicle windows
- Sand, gravel or cat litter to help gain tire traction on ice or snow.
- Blanket, Jacket, Work Gloves
- Non-perishable food or snacks
- Fully-charged mobile phone, and vehicle charger for phone.
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Keep your fuel tank full. Condensation in your tank will result in water in your gas lines, which will risk freezing.
- Check belts, and hoses for signs of wear; battery and cables.
- Use OEM recommended motor oil winter weight for your vehicle.
- Check anti-freeze level. Make sure you have a 50 / 50 mixture of antifreeze and water in your cooling system.
- Check your windshield wiper blades and replace if worn.
- Replace your warm weather windshield washer fluid with de-icing formula.
Drive safely, adjust your speed and following distance for road and weather conditions. Let someone else know your destination and travel route when you plan a road trip. Now that you’re prepared, enjoy that wintry wonderland!